July 21, 2022 by Stonewave team
Product description: It sounds easy, but it’s not!
Let us think why we should add descriptions to our products. Look no further! The answer is simple: Product descriptions convey to users important pieces of information about the product such as general characteristics, ingredients, materials, purpose and advantages compared to the competition.
Does that sound like a lot? Then, let’s analyze them one by one. In order to properly begin a product description, we must answer, if not all, some of the following questions:
- What is its use?
- How do consumers benefit from this product?
- What gives it a competitive advantage?
A product’s description must answer these questions in a direct and creative manner, while at the same time adjusting to every eshop’s style.
How many times have you read the label of a product at the supermarket before actually buying it? Online shoppers do the exact same thing before adding a product to their cart: They find a product, they read the description and they decide whether it’s worth buying or not.
Below, we have gathered some essential information in order for you to draft efficient product descriptions that will help you boost your sales:
- Focus on your target group! Your description must be comprehensible by your target group while promoting the product’s style and your brand’s identity. If your description aims to be appealing to a vast group of consumers, they may end up being to vague and unappealing. That is why it is essential to know what your target audience is and focus your writing on them. Use keywords that captivate them and speak to their hearts. For example, if you are selling electric guitars, you must write about the guitar’s technical characteristics, its materials, the brand, artists who use it and make them believe that they are going to be the next Rory Gallagher.
- Avoid overused phrases! Lines like, “exquisite product quality”, “guaranteed results” may actually have the opposite from the desired result. Users will think to themselves: “That’s what they all say”. That is why you need to be more specific and offer details that will make you look trustworthy and thus lead to increased sales.
- People like stories! Users enjoy a good narrative because it brings them closer to the product. That is why we suggest that you add short stories that answer questions such as who is the manufacturer, what was her inspiration and what obstacles she overcame in order to achieve the desired result.
- Use wordplay! Use keywords bring out emotions and memories in order to increase sales. Words like “bright”, “soft”, “smooth” and “crunchy” bring life to your products.
- Nobody reads lengthy descriptions! Don’t end up writing an essay for your product. You will not read it either. The average user scans the text looking for specific keywords that will draw her attention. Use small sentences, make your keywords bold, use bullet points and choose a font size that will make your text appealing and easy to read.
- Descriptions + Google = Love at first sight! Do not underestimate the power of descriptions because they help you rank higher in search engines and thus increase your site’s traffic.
- Yes, photos are important! Even if you manage to draft the best production description, if your images are not clear and noticeable, you will not get your message through. The phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words” definitely applies when it comes to eshops.
Product descriptions are a part of online shop that should not be ignored. They create stories and answer questions that can create important connections with customers. Become a fan of product descriptions and treat them as the important aspect of your eshop that they actually are. Happy writing!